Mesh vs Stand alone Router – Nighthawk AX5700 vs Deco M9
WiFi range extender or a mesh router
How to Extend Wi-Fi Range on the CHEAP video power by Ricks Gadgets.
WiFi range extender or a mesh router? Which router should you buy?
Both an extender or wireless “mesh” setup are really doing the same thing: they take packets in, buffer them and retransmit them. This means the network runs at half speed.
Sure it is easy to set up and requires no wiring of any sort. But the speed and bandwidth penalty is pretty severe.
Some things that are useful to know:
- Wi-Fi has a maximum range of around 150–175 feet. This is through open air. In a house with a wood frame and minimal metal ducting you should be able to get 100 feet easily.
- I had a pretty big house in Iowa that was a 2500 square foot ranch with a full basement. The house occupied a rectangle around 75×50 – so from the center of the house to the edges was maybe 40 feet at most.
- They make some really nice routers with three radios – 2.5GHz and two 5GHz. These can talk to a lot of devices – I was running over 30 separate connections to my Netgear Nighthawk R8000 router which was placed in the basement in about the center of the house.
Now, if you have a huge house (over 10,000 square feet), you aren’t going to cover that with a single router. But almost anything under that is going to work fine with a good router placed in the center.
If you aren’t able to use a single tri-band router, it could be interference that is messing things up. There are ways to investigate this and find what is causing the problem. Investing in any Wi-Fi hardware in the face of an interference problem is a waste of money – it will not solve the problem.
Let’s say you have more metal in the walls that normal or a huge house. The real answer is a managed network with a single router and multiple access points connected to it. You can expect to pay over $1000 for such a system, but unlike a lot of other things, it will provide seamless Wi-Fi coverage throughout the entire house. And yard, swimming pool, tennis courts, etc. The access points have to be connected via cables, but you have full speed access everywhere. It is the right solution for a huge house. Why worry about spending $1000 on Wi-Fi when the house cost over a million?
Get Instant $50 off. No more Wi-Fi Dead Zones / No cabling! Fast and Stable Wi-Fi connection Everywhere in your house. Contact your local IT and Tech Mates now on 0452 323 571.
WiFi range extender or a mesh router
Reference: Paul Crowley ( Senior software developer and Business Owner ). “Should you buy a WiFi range extender or a mesh router?” originally appeared on Quora, the place to gain and share knowledge, empowering people to learn from others and better understand the world.
Is Microsoft Defender good enough
This will save you money and time! Our One-Stop Solution for all your IT and tech needs.
Consider how much time you’ll save by not having to worry about IT issues. Sign up today. We’ve got you covered. Become a member today and leave your tech worries behind.
- My Home IT plan VIP members received a Stable, WIFI dead zone killer WIFI mesh system, FULLY INSTALLED. Worth over $329.99 inc gst plus other exclusive member benefits during your membership period.
- You can keep the device after 12 months membership subscription at no cost
- Priority Access.
- No out of hours surcharges for nights, weekends or public holidays.
- Exclusive members only discounts and promotions.
- Discounted rates for all remote and onsite service bookings for the life time of your active membership.
- Access to our exclusive VIP online support social community. Got technical questions? No worries, ask your experience I.T. and Tech mates online.
- Discount rates on computer repairs, laptop repairs, MacBook repairs, iPhone repairs, iPad repairs, Tablet repairs, Smart phone repairs.
- Free computer, phone and tablet repair service pickup and drop off
- No valid for technical service companies, Just need one membership per the same household or the same business. No limit on number of users and devices.
- Melbourne residents only (within 25 Km of Melbourne CBD only).
- Give big and helping over one million plus students!